Pledge to End Homelessness in DC
I support the District’s bold effort to end homelessness. Far too many men, women and children live on our streets and in our shelters. Together, we will end homelessness for veterans by 2015. And we will make homelessness rare, brief and non-recurring by 2020.
I stand with the Mayor to achieve these goals because I believe that:
- Homelessness in DC is not an intractable problem – it can be solved.
- When members of our community experience homelessness, we all suffer. Our entire community must be a part of the solution.
- Every neighborhood, and every resident, has a stake in preventing homelessness and supporting people who experience homelessness.
- By committing to action and using proven strategies, the District of Columbia has an opportunity to lead the nation in ending homelessness.
- As a community, we should close and replace DC General with smaller, more dignified private-room emergency housing for families across the District.